Friday, March 9, 2007

Top Ten Places in the World!

Talking about Hemingway and Key West yesterday made me think about all the places that I've really loved in my life. Would Key West make the top ten? I thought about it for a while, and came up with the ten best places I've been. There may be other places I'll love equally well if not better. I just haven't gotten there yet. Like Hawaii - that's on my To-Do list. So here they are, in no particular order:

Key West
Atlanta
San Francisco
New York City
Yosemite National Park
London
Walt Disney World
Columbia, Maryland
Washington, DC
Kenmare, Ireland

Kenmare is a tiny place on the southwestern edge of Ireland. It was my inspiration for the tiny village of Torin in BRIANNA'S MAGIC. We had been on a week-long tour of Ireland which included some St. Patrick's Day festivities (they are in the book too!). By the time we got to Kenmare at the end of the trip, we were ready to get off the tour bus and just sit in a pub for a while. It was a magical experience - listening to the lilting voices of the locals, enjoying the warm soup and thick soda bread, feeling the misty rain on our faces as we walked about the village. Nothing in my life has been remotely like that little bit of Irish Magic. Some day, if things go as planned, I'll get back there. And I might just stay!

No comments: