Monday, March 19, 2007

This is What Heaven Smells Like

There are some undisputably great things about living in Florida -

I have never shoveled snow in my life.
The Annual Pass makes Disney affordable.
No matter where you are, there is a beach in close driving distance.
You can easily pretend to have Jimmy Buffett's lifestyle.

But one of my favorite things is the smell of the orange blossoms. It's a fleeting thing, but one you do not want to miss if you can at all help it. This occurs in March. The citrus trees (of which we have many) are covered in tiny white flowers that release a perfume to rival anything Paris has ever put out. It's sweet without being cloying. Refreshing in the way citrus can be. And absolutley beautiful.

Yesterday, we took a drive down US 27 from I-4 south to Lake Wales, passing historic Bok Tower in the distance. This piece of Florida is known as The Ridge, probably because it's the highest elevation we can claim. And it's less than three hundred feet at its apex. It was a gorgeous day. Bright sunshine. Temperature in the seventies. Of course - look at this blog's picture, for gosh sakes! - we had the top down. The orange blossoms showered us with the sweetest perfume known to man. It was a rare treat, one I look forward to every March.

I know I'm supposed to live my life with words at my disposal, but for this experience, descriptions escape me. It's something that just has to be lived. So next time you're planning your Florida vacation, consider March. Rent a convertible and take that drive through the groves. You won't regret it.

Have a wonderful day!

Delia

No comments: