Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Giving thanks...anyway

I've told my sister that I absolutely will not stand in a circle, hold hands and say what I'm thankful for prior to carving the turkey tomorrow. It's a tradition. Of course it is. Everybody in America does it. We have to mark the holiday in some way. After all, those Pilgrims did a brave and dangerous thing. We should be glad. And I am glad. It's just that personally, I haven't had a lot to be thankful for this year.

But lest I sound maudlin, I decided to come up with some things for which I am truly grateful despite the tragedy that struck my family in 2008. So take these in the spirit with which they were summoned. And see what you might be able to add.

I'm thankful that I no longer work for a woman I can't repsect.

I'm extremely grateful that I wasn't running a trucking company when fuel hit five dollars a gallon.

I'm very thankful that Cloris Leachman was voted off Dancing with the Stars early on. I couldn't have tuned in to watch Warren if she was still there.

I'm grateful to Mr. Disney for deciding to build in Florida. That goes with the corollary thankful to my dad for deciding to move us to Florida.

I'm thankful that the Bucs finally started doing well so that people are buying my tickets on Stub Hub.

I'm glad I finished reading DUMA KEY before it got dark last night.

I'm thankful for my son's girlfriend who is a great cook and wants to do the dinner tomorrow.

I'm grateful that my mother didn't have to see the Georgia-Florida game this year.

And because writing is not unlike producing music in many, many ways, I'll leave you with one of my favorite Paul Simon lyrics from the song Lincoln Duncan:

"I was playing my guitar, lying underneath the stars, just thanking the Lord for my fingers, for my fingers."

Have a happy thanskgiving.
Susan

3 comments:

Mark Wolfgang said...

[[I'm very thankful that Cloris Leachman was voted off Dancing with the Stars early on. I couldn't have tuned in to watch Warren if she was still there.]]

LOL!!! I was watching Brooke very closely... very closely... thrilled that she won. And also watching Julianne, but that almost goes without saying.

Susan Cody said...

Mark! I would look at Brooke in those adbdomen-baring costumes (perhaps not as closely as you did) and say to myself "That woman has borne FOUR children!" Reminded me of Gone With the Wind when Mammy was trying to lace Scarlett into her corset after the first child. "You done had a baby Miz Scarlett. You ain't gone never have no eighteen inch waistline again." Oh, yeah? Tell Brooke that!

Mark Wolfgang said...

Yeah, she is amazing for that. I noticed.