Thursday, November 13, 2008

Don't Have a Cow, Man!

Yes, it's true. This Sunday, I'm going to break with tradition and watch The Simpsons. There's no particular reason why I've not been a big fan prior to now. Maybe it was just my idealistic vision of expecting children to behave and respect their parents.

Ha! No, that's not it. I'm a Child of the Sixties, a Flower Child, a Hippie. We invented bucking authority. And ended a war in the process, I might add....but I digress.

This Sunday I'll be watching The Simpsons because two of my idols are the week's guest stars. That's Merl Reagle and Will Shortz.

I've "known" Will Shortz since way, way, way back when I had a subscription to GAMES magazine and regularly devoured his crossword puzzles there. That was long before I knew the value of the Sunday NY Times crosswords or even Will's weekly stint with word games on NPR.

Merl Reagle, I actually have met.


I noticed him in a local breakfast place right after seeing the movie Word Play. I knew from that film that he lived in Tampa. When I saw him in the restaurant, I recognized him immediately. But more than that, I participated in one of his local Game Shows in which he posed word games and puzzles to an eager audience. I came in second and won a lovely gift basket of snacks for the effort.

So with gleeful anticipation, I'll sit myself down in front of The Simpsons this week. And let the Word Play begin!

Have a great day!
Susan

No comments: