Tuesday, June 12, 2007

To Infinity and Beyond!

Okay, maybe not to Infinity, but the Heiress synopsis is definitely going in the mail today. I can't do anything else to this synopsis to make it one tiny bit better. In fact, I would probably only make it worse if I tinkered with it now, so Off It Goes!

In all the time I've been writing, I've always said that if you're not waiting to hear from an editor, then life is barely worth living. You have no reason to rush out to the mailbox when you hear the truck go by. The telephone can ring unanswered. That little ding-dong that says you've got mail is probably an ad for a drug you don't need. What's the point?

Ah, but when you have a project with an editor - that's magic. There are more possibilities than you can imagine. It's kind of like daydreaming about what you'd do with your lottery winnings. You can waste a great deal of time thinking of all the different ways to spend money. But if you didn't buy a ticket, that game is no fun at all. Same with having a project in submission at some publishing house. Things can happen when an editor holds your work in his or her hands.

I try to keep something "out there" at all times. Right now, there is nothing. I was waiting to hear about the Lotus-Covered Door short story, and I did. The editor who has that project wants me to do a little bit of work to it. I can, and I will. Soon as I get my breath back. But once I heard from her, there was nothing to look forward to.

Now, today, by dropping one large brown envelope in a mail slot, I give myself hope.

I'm off to the Post Office. Have a great day!
Delia

No comments: