Monday, June 11, 2007

Just Another Manic Monday

The Bangles. Remember them? Walk like an E-gip-shin. Anyway, here we are on Monday morning, and yes indeed, I did finish the dreaded synopsis. I figured out the reason I hate it so much. I already know what happens. One of the things that keeps me sitting in the chair, fingers to the keyboard all day long, is not knowing what's going to happen. Once I know, I don't care as much. It's kind of like a leap of faith for me each time I start a new book. Will I get to the end? If so, how?

I'm really, really good with beginnings. I can think of the most incredible situations from which two people can spring and fall in love with each other. It's what happens next that gives me trouble. It's that blasted conflict! I'd much rather write the happy parts. I know there are people who hate the happy parts and prefer writing the conflict. I don't know how to become one of those.

So, anyway, the synopsis. Yes, it's finished, and it will be in the mail tomorrow at the latest. I promise. Because I've got a long list of things needing to be done that I've been pushing away from the desktop saying, "After I get the query off."

But first, I have to polish it up a little bit. I let it sit over the weekend, and now I'll take a different look at it, perhaps finding all the stupid things I didn't mean to put in, or plugging the holes I dug in choosing the narrative points.

And the longer I write this blog entry, the bigger the procrastination bus that I'm driving around in this morning. So off we go.

Have a great day!
Delia

No comments: