Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The Heiress Goes to Australia

Yes, it's true. The Runaway Heiress packed her bags and took off through cyberspace toward Australia. No, it wasn't an unmanageable obsession with Crocodile Dundee. It's where my editor for Cerridwen Press lives. If you want to see the Heiress, then Mistress Helen has to wave her magic wand over her first.

So, what happens when a writer submits something for publication? Well, on the writer's end, nothing. The ball is now in the editor's court. The writer has to FORGET ALL ABOUT IT AND GET ON WITH HER LIFE.

Sure.

No, of course you don't forget about it. That's really great advice, but I don't know a writer who's capable of it. Oh, maybe Nora Roberts. Stephen King. Somebody like that.

What does work, though, is to right away begin a new project. Immerse yourself in some other story, and you really will find that the other one moves to a less prominent position in your mind. Notice I didn't say it goes away. It just moves to the back burner, so to speak.

What's next for me? Well, I'm still letting this new story develop. I have a woman named Olivia. I have her old boyfriend Sam. I have a really cool Grandma. And then there are the Bombshell Bounty Hunters. Yeah, this one could be a lot of fun.

See? I wrote that entire paragraph without mentioning the Heiress, almost as if I took my own advice! So while I'm on a roll, I'm off to discover some more things about Olivia. Have a wonderful day!

Delia

PS - I also didn't mention the Lotus-Covered Door, which is at a different publisher awaiting its chance to shine. Two stories! Two editors making a decision! Two things to "forget about." It's a miracle I can even write this blog!!

No comments: